☀️ Over 40,000 homes in Essex have a solar panel system installed.
☀️ You’ll normally break even on solar panels in about 10 years.
☀️ A 3.5kW solar panel system will cost about £7,000 on average.
Solar panels are becoming more affordable and more common in the UK, with over 1.3 million households already using them in the UK.
This guide will tell you all you need to know about solar panels if you are living in Essex and considering getting them.
Should you buy solar panels if you live in Essex?
Solar panels are a great investment for Essex residents who can afford them. They produce clean energy, lower your energy bills, and cut your carbon footprint.
Essex solar panel owners can break even in 13.47 years, which is faster than the UK average of 15.1 years.
This is because Essex gets more sunshine than most of the UK.
A 3.5 kW system costs about £7,000 and can earn you a profit of £6,000 over 25 years.
With this system, you can save about £583 every year on your energy bills in a three-bedroom house.
This is based on an estimated lifespan of 25 years, but your solar panels may last longer and save you more.
You can also earn money by selling your surplus energy to the National Grid through the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) Scheme. The amount you earn depends on your energy supplier.
The average SEG rate is 12p per kWh, but Octopus Energy pays 15p per kWh.
A three-bedroom house with a 12p SEG rate can make about £179 per year, and with a 15p SEG rate, about £199 per year.
If you have a Tesla Powerwall 2 battery and Octopus Energy, you can get up to 24p per kWh, but the battery costs around £5,400.
How much sunlight does Essex receive?
With an average of 1,883 sunny hours per year, Essex is much brighter than the rest of the UK, which only gets 1,403 hours. This means that if you have a solar panel system in Essex, you can produce more green energy than in many other places.
Solar panels are also a good investment for your property. According to a recent survey, 69% of Brits would prefer to rent or buy a house with solar panels, which is a 4% increase from last year.
You might think that solar panels are not suitable for the UK’s cloudy climate, but that’s not true. Solar panels can still work well on overcast days.
How much does it cost to install solar panels in Essex?
The average price of a 3.5 kW solar panel system, including installation in Essex, is £7,000, here at NXTGEN Energy our 8 panels plus battery is only £6,750 for a complete Solar Panel Installation in Essex! This is the right size for a three-bedroom house to have enough power.
To find the best offer, you should compare at least three quotes for solar panel systems.
Higher-quality panels are more expensive, but they are also more efficient and can produce more electricity.
Are there any solar panel grants from Essex County Council?
Essex Energy Switch
The Essex Energy Switch is a scheme to help residents get a better deal on their gas and electricity. It is free to register and there is no obligation to switch.
Register online or call 0800 048 8439 to register and receive correspondence by post. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 5.30pm. You will need a recent energy bill to to sign up.
Get advice from Warm Homes Essex
You could get help from a specialist energy advisor if you are finding it hard to pay energy bills or have debts with energy suppliers. They might be able to help you get a grant to improve your home’s energy efficiency.
Visit Warm Homes Essex or contact the Citizens Advice Warm Homes team on 0300 3033 789.
Making energy efficient improvements if your household income is below £30,000
Essex homeowners with a household income below £30,000 may be eligible for £10,000 funding through the Sustainable Warmth Scheme. The funding is for making energy-efficient improvements to your home. It was previously called the Green Homes Grant Local Authority Delivery Scheme.
Save more money on your energy bill
Visit the NXTGEN Energy Blog to find out how you can save even more money on your energy bills.
Oil central heating systems
Even if you’re not connected to the mains gas supply, you can still save money on heating oil by joining the Rural Community Council of Essex (RCCE) community oil buying scheme.
How many homes have solar panels in Essex?
Essex has over 40,000 solar panel installations with MCS accreditation, but the actual number is more as some are not MCS-certified.
Living in Essex, you should get solar panels for saving money on your energy bills, producing your own green power, and cutting down your carbon emissions.
Feeling ready to invest in Solar Panels in Essex? Want to learn more? Your best option is to talk to one of our friendly solar energy experts on 01268 928 690 or click on the ‘Enquire Now’ button below and we will help you find the right fit for your home and budget. Remember we are both an MCS Certified PV (Panels) Installer and an MCS Certified Battery Storage Installer. MCS Certification is a mark of quality. Our membership of MCS demonstrates our strict adherence to these recognised industry standards; highlighting quality, competency and compliance.
NXTGEN Energy – Your Trusted Solar Energy Partner 💚
Frequently Asked Questions about Solar Panels
The short answer is yes! Solar panels can cut almost 70% off your energy bills, and that proportion is growing as energy bills rise. No wonder solar panel installations have risen by over 45% in the last three years, and shot up by over 80% in the last year alone.
1-2 bedroom property, 8 solar panels generating about 1,800 kWh a year.
3 bedroom property, 12 solar panels generating about 2,800 kWh kWh a year.
4-5 bedroom property, 16 solar panels generating about 3,700 kWh kWh a year.
The answer depends on how much you pay for the solar panels, how much your electricity would otherwise cost, how much green energy the panels make from the sunshine you get, and whether you have solar batteries installed or not. The average payback period for solar PV systems is coming down and can now be under 10 years depending on your solar PV system and how many solar panels you have installed.
The solar industry standard for most solar panels’ lifespans is between 25 to 30 years, but with proper care and cleaning they can last much longer. Most reputable manufacturers offer production warranties for 25 years or more. The average break even point for solar panel energy savings occurs six to 10 years after installation.
Whilst there is no hard and fast rule as to how much value solar panels can add to the overall value of your property, suggestions range from 4.1% to 14% on average and they are certainly unlikely to detract from the value of your home, even if they aren’t the most attractive roof feature visually.
Latest Solar Panel Posts
- How trees affect solar panels and what you can do about itThe rapid growth of renewable energy has led many homeowners and businesses to invest in solar panels as a sustainable and cost-effective alternative to traditional power sources. However, the presence of trees near solar installations can significantly impact their efficiency and output. Understanding the complex relationship between trees and solar panels is crucial for maximizing […]
- Cost of Solar Panels UKSolar panels have emerged as a sustainable and environmentally friendly solution to meet energy needs in the United Kingdom. As the country continues its transition towards renewable energy sources, solar panels have gained significant popularity. This article provides a comprehensive overview of the cost of solar panels in the UK, exploring the various factors that […]
- BLACK FRIDAY SALE!NXTGEN Energy Ltd Announces Black Friday Sale to Help More People Go Solar and Save Money on Their Bills NXTGEN Energy Ltd, a leading provider of renewable energy solutions across Essex, Kent, London and beyond, is excited to announce its Black Friday Sale aimed at promoting sustainable energy practices while allowing customers to save big […]
- How to Go Green with Solar Panels: A Guide for Smart HomeownersSolar Panels are a great way to save money on your energy bills, reduce your carbon footprint, and increase the value of your home. But before you jump on the solar energy bandwagon, you need to be aware of some potential pitfalls and scams that could cost you more than you bargained for. In this […]
- Solar Together SchemeSolar Together: A Group-Buying Scheme for Solar Panels Are you interested in installing solar panels on your roof, but worried about the high upfront cost? Do you want to join the green energy revolution and reduce your carbon footprint? If so, you might want to consider Solar Together, a group-buying scheme that helps you get […]
- Commercial Solar Panels FAQs☀️ Commercial solar panels can significantly reduce energy costs for businesses, and lower your carbon footprint. ☀️ Commercial solar panels cost £16,000-£70,000 for small to medium-sized businesses, depending on the system. ☀️ There are various grants and schemes available for businesses that want to install commercial solar panels. If you’re a business looking for a […]
- Can Solar Panels Be Installed on a Slate Roof?☀️ Yes, solar panels can be installed on a slate roof, but it requires a different installation technique. ☀️ Due to the different installation required it costs 30% more than an installation on a standard roof. ☀️ The savings on your electricity bill will normally more than make up for this higher price point. Solar […]
- Is it worth buying solar panels in Essex?☀️ Over 40,000 homes in Essex have a solar panel system installed. ☀️ You’ll normally break even on solar panels in about 10 years. ☀️ A 3.5kW solar panel system will cost about £7,000 on average. Solar panels are becoming more affordable and more common in the UK, with over 1.3 million households already using […]
- Do solar panels work in a power cut?☀️ Solar panels can work in a power cut, but only if they’re installed with a battery and a relay. ☀️ Power cuts cause solar panels to automatically switch off to protect electrical utility workers. ☀️ About 23% of the homes in the UK are affected by power cuts each year, and it’s going up. […]
- Types of Solar PanelsHow do solar panels work? Solar panels are devices that convert sunlight into electricity. They are made up of many small units called photovoltaic (PV) cells, which are usually made of silicon or other semi-conductive materials. When sunlight hits the surface of a solar panel, the photons (particles of light) are absorbed by the PV […]
- How are Solar Panels made?☀️ The solar cells in normal solar panels are made up of crystalline silicon ☀️ The solar cells are stuck onto a clear pane and connected with metal wires ☀️ A backsheet and frame are sealed onto the clear pane to form an airtight unit Solar panels are not easy to make, as they require […]
- MCS CertificationWhat is MCS certification and why is it important? MCS stands for the Microgeneration Certification Scheme, an initiative that was introduced in 2007 to support the fast-growing microgeneration industry in the UK. Microgeneration refers to the small-scale production of heat or electric power from renewable sources, such as solar panels, wind turbines, heat pumps, biomass […]