Solar panels are a great way to generate clean and renewable energy for your home or business. However, they can also attract unwanted visitors such as pigeons, squirrels, rats, and other pests that can cause damage, noise, and health risks. In this blog post, I will explain why you need to pigeon proof your solar panels, why pigeons and other pests love solar panels, what problems they can cause, and how you can prevent them from nesting under your solar panels.
Why do pigeons and other pests love solar panels?
Pigeons and other pests are attracted to solar panels for several reasons. First, solar panels provide a warm and sheltered place for them to nest and breed, especially during the cold and rainy seasons. Second, solar panels offer protection from predators such as cats, hawks, and owls that may prey on them. Third, solar panels are often located near food sources such as bird feeders, rubbish bins, gardens, and crops.
What problems can pigeons and other pests cause under solar panels?
Pigeons and other pests can cause a number of problems under solar panels, such as:
- Damage: Pigeons and other pests can scratch, chew, or pull the wires and connectors under the solar panels, which can affect their performance and efficiency. They can also damage the roof tiles, insulation, and ventilation systems under the solar panels, which can lead to leaks, mould, and fire hazards.
- Noise: Pigeons and other pests can make loud and annoying noises under the solar panels, such as cooing, scratching, scurrying, and fighting. This can disturb your peace and comfort at home or work.
- Health: Pigeons and other pests can leave behind droppings, feathers, nests, eggs, carcasses, and parasites under the solar panels, which can contaminate the water supply, soil, and air quality. These can also attract flies, maggots, rats, and other vermin that can spread diseases such as salmonella, histoplasmosis, psittacosis, cryptococcosis, bird mites, fleas, ticks, lice, and worms. These diseases can affect humans and pets alike and can cause serious illness or even death.
How to prevent pigeons and other pests from nesting under solar panels?
The best way to prevent pigeons and other pests from nesting under your solar panels is to install a pigeon proofing system that blocks their access to the gap between the solar panels and the roof. There are different types of pigeon proofing systems available in the UK market, such as:
- Mesh: Mesh is a flexible material that is attached to the edges of the solar panels with clips or screws. It creates a barrier that prevents pigeons and other pests from entering the gap under the solar panels. Mesh is easy to install and remove and does not affect the appearance or function of the solar panels.
- Spikes: Spikes are metal or plastic rods that are fixed to the edges of the solar panels with adhesive or screws. They create a deterrent that discourages pigeons and other pests from landing or roosting on the solar panels. Spikes are durable and weather-resistant but may be visible from the ground.
- PanelProof: PanelProof is a patented product that is designed specifically for pigeon proofing solar panels. It consists of aluminium strips that are attached to the edges of the solar panels with adhesive tape. It creates a seal that prevents pigeons and other pests from entering the gap under the solar panels. PanelProof is aesthetically pleasing and rust-proof and does not interfere with the performance or warranty of the solar panels.
- SolaSkirt: Solaskirt is a product that is designed to protect solar panels from pigeons and other birds, as well as to improve the appearance of the panels. It is a system of aluminium clamps and skirts that attach to the sides of the solar panels, covering the gaps, rails, cables and rain-water run-off. Solaskirt prevents pigeons from nesting under the solar panels, which can cause damage, mess and health hazards. It also gives the panels a sleek, black-edged look that enhances their aesthetics. Solaskirt is manufactured by Titan Eco, a company that specializes in solar panel protection and pigeon proofing.
If you are looking for a professional service to pigeon proof your solar panels in the UK, you can contact one of these companies:
Here at NXTGEN Energy we can pigeon proof your solar panels. If you need to pigeon proof your solar panels due to pigeons, other birds or pests contact us on 01268 928 690 or email@example.com or click on the ‘Enquire Now’ button below for a free no-obligation quote for solar panel pigeon proofing. We can install pigeon proofing mesh or SolaSkirt which is a premium pigeon proofing solution. Remember we need to know how many solar panels you have on your roof to work out your quote, as solar panel pigeon proofing is priced per solar panel.
.I hope this blog post helps you understand how to protect your solar panels from pigeons and other pests. If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment below. Thank you for reading!
Frequently Asked Questions about Pigeon Proofing
Just like any animal, pigeons will seek shelter from predators and the elements. Unfortunately, pigeons will often use man-made structures to build nests and raise their young, and solar panels can make the perfect nesting site for pigeons, birds and other pests. The huge surge in solar panels being fitted in the UK this year has made a new home for urban birds across the country.
One of the most effective (and the cheapest) ways to deter pigeons from nesting under your solar panels is to put bird mesh in place which is designed to seal off the area underneath the panels. Bird mesh clips attach directly to your solar panels to secure the panels while still allowing air to circulate.
Pigeons love nesting and roosting on cliffs because places like cliffs keep them safe from the weather and predators. Roosting under solar panels offers the same benefits. The space beneath the solar panels provides a warm, shady place to build a nest while sheltering the pigeons from predators and the elements.
The cost of pigeon proofing solar panels varies depending on the size and type of panels being protected. However, generally it costs around £50-£100 per metre for a mesh or netting system. Therefore, for an average-sized solar panel of 1m x 2m, it’ll cost approximately £300 to £600 to pigeon proof it.
Pigeon droppings, dirt and mess that begin to cover your Solar Panels, will have an impact on your Solar Panel’s ability to generate solar energy. By pigeons covering the surface of your solar panels, there will be a decrease in panel performance, and effectiveness and you will not generate as much electricity as you would without the pigeons.
Yes, pigeons have discovered that solar panels provide the ideal nest location as the solar panels provide protection against the elements and from predator’s like hawks and owls.
Latest Solar Panel Posts
- How AI could supercharge your solar panelsImagine stepping outside on a crisp January morning, a mug of steaming tea warming your hands. You glance at your rooftop, not with dread at energy bills, but with a mischievous grin. Why? Because the sun, that cheeky orb in the sky, is being squeezed for every juicy watt it holds thanks to your AI-powered […]
- Can Solar Panels Run a Whole House? Powering Your Home with Solar EnergySolar energy has become increasingly popular in recent years as a clean and sustainable alternative to traditional power sources. Homeowners in the UK are now considering solar panels as a means to harness the sun’s energy and reduce their environmental impact. One common question that arises is whether solar panels can effectively power an entire […]
- Unprecedented growth in the renewable sector driven by solar powerThe year 2023 marked a significant milestone in the realm of renewable energy, as solar power emerged as the driving force behind a remarkable 50% surge in global capacity. This remarkable achievement was revealed in the International Energy Agency’s (IEA) Renewables 2023 report, solidifying it as the 22nd consecutive year of record growth in renewable […]
- New solar panel concept could reduce payback time to just five yearsResearchers have conducted a comprehensive analysis and determined that a ground-breaking renewable energy concept has the potential to significantly reduce the payback period for solar panels to less than five years. This innovative approach, known as agrivoltaics or Agri-PV, involves the integration of solar farms with “shadow-friendly” crops. A team of experts from the esteemed […]
- The Allure of Solar and the Pitfalls of PriceThe allure of renewable energy is undeniable. Lowering your carbon footprint while achieving energy independence – it’s a win-win proposition. However, navigating the solar investment landscape can be fraught with hidden costs, particularly when lured by the siren song of bargain-basement prices. Consider the contrasting paths of Dean and Richard, both homeowners embarking on the […]
- Why Manufacturing & Logistics Businesses need to invest in Warehouse Solar PanelsElectricity and energy consumption are major expenses for manufacturing and logistics businesses, as they need them to operate machinery, illuminate and heat their facilities, and transport their goods. Warehouse solar panels can significantly reduce these costs and enhance the company’s financial performance, while also contributing to its sustainability objectives. Installing commercial solar panels on your […]
- The ECO Flex SchemeIf you do not meet the criteria for the ECO4 scheme, there is still a possibility for you to receive funding through the Local Authority and Supplier Flex (ECO Flex) mechanism. ECO Flex enables local authorities, the Scottish and Welsh governments, and energy suppliers to refer households for ECO4, even if they do not fully […]
- Octopus Energy to build Solar Powered Bill-Free HomesOctopus Energy has recently announced an exciting new partnership with The Hill Group, a renowned housebuilder. Together, they will embark on a project to construct 89 remarkable homes that are not only powered by solar energy but also offer residents the incredible benefit of zero energy bills. These innovative houses will be equipped with a […]
- Reduce Your Energy Bills With Solar PowerImagine this: you open your latest energy bill, brace yourself for another gut punch, and instead…a pleasant surprise. A number so low, it feels like a typo. A number that translates to groceries in the fridge, a night out without guilt, a little breathing room in your ever-tightening budget. Sounds like a fantasy, right? Not […]
- Advantages of Solar Panels in the UKSolar Power: Shining a Light on the UK’s Green Future The UK’s embrace of renewable energy is blossoming, with solar power playing a leading role. This surge reflects a national commitment to a greener, more sustainable future. But what exactly are the benefits of solar panels for UK homeowners and businesses? Let’s dive into the […]